This blog is about me and what I am reading. I am a professor. I read for fun, I read for work. This blog is generally about literature. You don't need a PhD to read it. Welcome.

Wednesday, July 1, 2026

Summer 2026 starts with War and Peace


 Hello, Blog.  It's been a minute. 

Look what I bought!  You'll never guess where I bought it.



The newsstand at BWI airport!  I felt like I had to support BWI for having stocked this, so I bought it.  It was, of course, an awful thing to carry across the continent and back on my trip to a conference, but I couldn't resist the ridiculousness.  Plus, if you settle War and Peace on your tray table, no one strikes  up a conversation with you mid flight.  It's an excellent social preventative.

I'm about 300 pages in.  The first 50 were hard.  I had to flip repeatedly to the page giving a list of who is who.  It's getting easier to read, and Tolstoy's knack for positioning all of his characters as flawed (and  oblivious to their own flaws), and on the brink of catastrophe (to which these flawed characters are also oblivious) is reeling me in.

I'm coming off a challenging three years.  I have sabbatical coming up this fall.  I will do serious work, I promise.

But I'm not really starting until I finish War and Peace.

Oh, and as a reward for my work these past three years, my colleagues bought me a very generous gift card to The Ivy bookstore.  My first installment just came.  These will also have to wait until after I have finished War and Peace.


It's nice to be back.  What are y'all reading?


No comments:

Post a Comment